Tell Our Elected Officials: People on Bikes are Dying in Our Streets
On Wednesday, June 28th 2023, we asked folks to contact elected officials in regards to the spike in fatal crashes involving people on bikes in our city. The following petition was submitted at the end of the day on Wednesday, June 28th 2023 with 709 signatures to seal our campaign, and make our demands clear: We want people on bikes to stop dying in our streets
We have decided to keep this petition open until we begin seeing some change in our city.
To Elected Officials,
We are in a public crisis: people on bikes are dying in our streets and we want our elected officials to recognize this and make a public statement of what they plan to do about it NOW
We ask that you:
Make a public statement recognizing that this is a crisis, and it needs to be addressed
- In 2022, the New Orleans Health Department and Department of Public Works issued a statement declaring traffic injuries and fatalities a “ public health and safety crisis” ; since this statement, the City Council has voted to remove infrastructure proven to slow vehicular traffic. 2022 Statement
- We ask that you personally acknowledge this statement, and become proactive in stopping these crashes and deaths.
Prioritize safe infrastructure for ALL road users
- These deaths are preventable through smart road design and traffic calming measures.
- Recommit to the Complete Streets Ordinance to build a road system for all road users.
- Commit funding to connect, maintain, and expand the protected bike lane network in New Orleans.
Actively promote safe driving
- Take measures to ensure speed limits and traffic lights are adhered to.
- Promote alternative transportation options.
- Take steps to reduce drunk driving.
Work closely with the Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development (LADOTD) to better manage the current state roads in Orleans Parish
- Collaborate on solutions to make state roads through New Orleans safer for all road users.
20 additional signatures were gathered during the Justice for Peedy's Ride held on Thursday, June 13th, so the most up to date count is the number below plus 20.
Like this to spread the word